As most of the students at Van Buren wait impatiently for the last week of school to end, I'm sure many are looking for any excuse to start winter break just a little bit earlier this year. With only three more days of school left, teachers and students alike are searching for any last bit of motivation to do their homework, or generally show up to school, which brings me to the question several people are asking? Will we end up with a delay or closing tomorrow?
A burst of heavy snow should be moving through most of northwest Ohio this evening into the overnight hours. Most of Hancock county will see at least an inch or two of snowfall by the early morning hours tomorrow. Skies should clear out during the morning followed by more light snow later in the day Tuesday. Now some of you may be wondering, "Gee this is great and everything, but will I need to set my alarm tomorrow morning?" Unfortunately, I would imagine that you will have to.
There's a good chance the country roads surrounding Van Buren are in rough shape by tomorrow morning, especially because the wind will be picking up once again. A lot of roads are still snow covered, and any snow that falls tonight will definitely help those who are hoping for a delay. We already saw one school delay for blowing snow, so why not two in a row? I think a delay is very possible, but closing school down for a couple inches of snow probably won't happen. If the snow falls just a little later than expected, then there's a greater chance for a delay/closing.
My Official SnowDay Forecast:
2 Hour Delay: 55%
If these numbers aren't particularly encouraging to you, here's a list of ways you can do to help Van Buren get a "snow day" tomorrow. These are statistically proven to be more helpful than asking me why it won't snow more*:
*Again, please do not ask me why it didn't snow more. Please.
As the word of a new snowfall spread across the school like a wildfire today, many students (and teachers) couldn't help but wonder if they will wake up Friday morning to heavy snow and a school closing. The chance of an extended weekend and some extra sleep is always exciting, but I wouldn't be too hopeful that Van Buren sees a snow day tomorrow. As Van Buren's only (unofficial) meteorologist, I thought I would do my best to explain how much snow we will see and if we'll get the luxury of a snow day tomorrow. Contrary to popular belief, I do not have control over the weather, so please do not ask me why I did not make it snow more.
Here is my estimated snowfall totals through late Friday night. Two separate waves of snow will move through the area tonight and tomorrow, and Van Buren will likely see at least a couple inches of snow, but could see more if the storm moves just a few miles to the north. Unfortunately for people hoping for a delay or closing, the majority of the snow will fall after 11AM on Friday, which means most students will face the tough decision of paying attention in class on a Friday afternoon, or simply watching the snow fall outside the classroom windows.
There still is a chance that Van Buren would either delay or close, but I don't think either is very likely.
My SnowDay Forecast:
2 Hour Delay: 40%
1-2 of 2